Welcome to the last ACT GeoMessage for the year. This edition reviews our activities in 2011 and sets a plan for 2012 and a foundation for the ACT hosting the SSSC Conference in April 2013, Canberra’s centenary year.
During the year we have:
- Held a special viewing of Dr. David Headon’s exhibition on the early surveyors of the ACT at Parliament House;
- Changed our representation on the ACT Survey Practice Advisory Committee;
- Established an organising committee for SSSC2013;
- Created and filled the position of ACT Regional Assistant;
- Reinvented the Scrivener Breakfast;
- Held another successful Awards Dinner and presented awards to Frank Blanchfield and Ron Jarman;
- Ran a stand at the Canberra Careers Market and spruiked surveying and spatial to around 7000 students;
- Held a Women in Spatial Breakfast;
- Welcomed the New SSSI President Gary Maguire;
- Represented the Region at events such as the Education Forum run by SSSI and the Consultative Council;
- Held a number of CPD events to help you our members gain points for your various certification options;
- Progressed the commitment of the IS Canberra Division funds.
- Held our Annual End of Year networking event to share war stories and seasons greatings.
Thanks again to our Sustaining Partner – ACT Environment and Sustainable Development Directorate, and to all the Committee members who have contributed to the activities during the year. Thanks also to you our members who have supported these events and I hope received value from your SSSI membership.
Looking Ahead to 2012
Our calendar for the year ahead is filling fast. We will kick off the meeting schedule with our first Committee meeting on Tuesday 7th February and hold a further 3 Committee meetings with Executive meetings between during the year. The ACT Region will be up for election in September so consider how you can assist in managing the Region’s member services.
Our event schedule so far is:
- Twilight Surveyors event including feedback on the plan to commit the IS Canberra Division funds;
- A WIS Leadership Change event with YP input;
- 15th - URISA Project Management Workshop.
- Metadata Workshop in conjunction with SSSI NSW;
- 25th - Full day Surveyor’s CPD event.
- 18th - Spatial Information day followed by our Awards Dinner.
- Second full day Surveyor’s CPD event.
- 27th - End of Year Committee meeting and drinks.
In closing for the year I would like to wish all our ACT members a very happy and safe Christmas and well earned holiday. I hope that we can all work together in 2012 to realise your expectations of your professional association, and continue to build the SSSI community in the ACT.
SSSI ACT Region